Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Hurricane Sandy

Hurricane Sandy hit the Eastern Shore with a vengeance!  Small places like Crisfield , Fairmount and Deal Island  MD lie low, close to the water and surrounded by tidal waters.   Likewise, Sanford & Saxis VA are in similar geography.  People here work the water, supporting their families with the fruit of the sea, mainly crabs, oysters and fish.  Crisfield is known as "The Seafood Capital of the World".
Tidal surge took out parts of the ceiling in a condo's parking garage.
The depot needs repair before the mail boat and cruise boats can return.

Trees fell on houses, electric wires and streets.
 

Frankenstorm Sandy hit Crisfield hard, with winds up to 80 mph and tidal surges of 5 - 8', putting homes under water, trees through roofs and lives disrupted.   Project Linus was able to step in and help the children deal with the stress and chill of the following days.
Blanketeers like Regina counted and bagged blankets.


Pearlie is one of our most dedicated and prolific blanketeers.
Ann used her day off to make fleece blankets


Brooke & Lexie came after school to help.
Betsy cut most of our quilt kits.

Cheryl & Loist made quilts and fleece blankets.

Project Linus chapters sent blankets from all over the US!
 

My pickup truck was filled several times.

    We held 2 consecutive Make a Blanket Days and were well fed by members of Salem United Methodist Church where our event was held.

     I first took 75 blankets to Crisfield and attended the first disaster relief meeting, on the day that the roads between Pocomoke and Crisfield were first passable. The blankets were given to children staying in the shelter at Washington High School in Princess Anne, and I became a member of the Disaster Relief Committee.  Next, I took 60 blankets to Woodson Elementary School and began working with Vice Principal Ted Gibson.  I promised blankets for all 605 students!  Monday last week we arrived at Woodson with over 600 blankets packed into 3 pickup trucks!








Still in my plans is to serve children in the Virginia villages which had similar damage. 
While we were making extra blankets here on the shore,  my fellow coordinators were shipping blankets from 17 states.  I also appealed to some of the quilters I have met in other parts of the US, and they made quilts!  It's what we do!  In our hearts we believe in our by-line, "Security Through Blankets".

The children have been writing thank you notes to us!  These are so charming , I have to share them!
Dear Mrs. Clarke, Thank you so much for bringing blankets to our school.  I appreciate you bringing blankets.  I know you worked hard to make 600 blankets for us.  Second grader, Yelaina

Dear Mrs Clarke, Thank you for bringing blankets to our school.  I know it was hard work. It was very nice to do that.  I love the dezines of dinosaures.  I love how color full it is.  I love how soft it is.  Second grader. Yours Truly, Caleb


This crab brightly advertises what Crisfield is known for- Seafood and Seafood eateries!  Yum!  Nothing better than Crisfield crabs with Old Bay seasoning!

Dear Project Linus,  Thank you so much for the blanket.  I picked it because I like Washington State. Thanks again, Quinton W.

Down by the dock, in a new location following the storm, boats still go daily to the islands of Smith Island MD, & Tangier Island Va, with mail, supplies, local residents and goods.   I was able to load 2 bags of blankets on the mail boat to Smith Island.  Someone will take them to the school for me!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment